HARVARD FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT MEETING MINUTES APRIL 17, 2018
Harvard Fire Protection District Meeting Minutes
Held April 17, 2018
Trustee Condon called the meeting of the Harvard Fire Protection District Board of Trustees to order at 7:03 pm in the meeting room of the Fire Station at 502 S. Eastman Street. Present were Trustees Condon, Carbonetti and Clarke. Also in attendance were Chief Harter, D/C Davidson, Anthony Kelly, Claudia Rang and Roger Hugg (residents).
Audience Participation: None
Recognition of Anthony Kelly:
Chief Harter presented a plaque with a Certificate of Appreciation to Anthony Kelly, a 15 year old, who rescued “Butch the Dog” from an icy pond. The dog is 13 years old, and had fallen through the ice. Claudia Rang stated that Butch was like a family member to her, and she was very appreciative of Mr. Kelly’s heroic efforts.
Approval of minutes:
Motion was made by Carbonetti and seconded by Clarke to approve minutes of the March 13, 2018, Board of Trustees meeting. Voice vote, all ayes. Motion approved 3-0.
Convene a “Closed Session”:
Motion was made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to enter a Closed Session of the meeting to discuss issues covered under the Illinois Compiled Statutes, General Provisions, Open Meetings Act, 5 ILCS 120/2/c/1. Regarding a complaint lodged against an employee. Roll call: Condon-yes, Carbonetti-yes, Clarke-yes. Motion approved 3-0.
Reconvene to “Open Session”:
Motion was made by Carbonetti and seconded by Clarke to return to Open Session of the meeting. Roll call: Condon-yes, Carbonetti-yes, Clarke-yes. Motion approved 3-0.
Approve hiring on new personnel:
Motion was made by Condon and seconded by Clarke to hire Jesse Golliher, Noah Carlson, and Selena Aleman as cadet members for the District. Swearing-in to be conducted on Monday, April 23rd at 7pm. Roll call: Condon-yes, Carbonetti-yes, Clarke-yes. Motion approved 3-0.
Approve payment of Bills:
Motion was made by Carbonetti and seconded by Condon to approve the payment of invoices for service and materials totaling $65,250.14. Roll call: Condon-yes, Carbonetti-yes, Clarke-yes. Motion approved 3-0.
- Fire Chief:
- Presented draft of Firefighter/EMT-A/EMT-P job description.
- Presented a copy of the Standard Operating Guidelines manual.
- Presented keys to gate securing computer servers.
- Routine fire and EMS calls during the previous month.
- Minimal equipment maintenance issues reported.
- Deputy Fire Chief: None
- Battalion Chief::
- McHenry County to oppose plans for 35 bed treatment facility on Dunham Road..
- District has become aware of a zoning and code issue pertaining to Raven Castle..
- Engine 747 will be out of service for a short period of time during May. It’s going to Elkhorn, WI for repairs.
- Training officer: None
- Fire /Rescue Association:: None
- Building Maintenance::None
- Billing/Records Clerk:: None.
- Clarke read a letter from US Senator Durbin supporting grant for new pumper. Chief Harter informed the Board that the grant was denied.
- Treasurers Report: Carbonetti submitted current balance sheet and budget documents.
- Officer testing process: D/C Davidson began a PowerPoint presentation on staff’s thoughts regarding the need for additional lieutenants to staff the District. Clarke objected to this topic not being included on the meeting agenda. Condon stated that it was only a presentation of materials, and that no discussion or questions are sought. Clarke again expressed the need to identify a presentation such as this on the agenda. Condon directed the Deputy Chief to continue.
- Department intents to staff the station with an officer 24/7.
- Assign a lieutenant as an I.T. officer.
- Assign a lieutenant as a training officer.
- Assign a lieutenant as a Fire Prevention Bureau officer.
- All officers will be required to work a minimum of 8 shifts per month, respond on at least 2 call-backs per month and attend 4 hours of Department training per month.
- Estimated additional cost are $2,350.08 per additional officer per year.
- Proposed an examination process which includes a self-assessment, staff interviews, and selection by the fire chief.
New business: None
Motion made by Clarke and seconded by Condon to adjourn meeting. All ayes, motion approved 3-0.
Joseph Clarke, Sec.
Date approved: ____________________________________